Updated: 2 days ago
by Judy Jean Kwon
I feel I need to explain what a "Karen" is because some folks seem confused.
So without beating around the bush, I will dive straight into it.
A Karen is a racist white woman that uses her societal power and privilege to put others in their place so they can stay atop their pedestal. (They are not afraid to manipulate and call the authorities on you because they know they will get away and get you in trouble.)
Disclaimer: A Karen doesn’t have to be white. Karens come in all colors of entitlement. Just because you are a white woman, it doesn’t make you a Karen or entitled. Did I have to explain that? Perhaps.
Some traits of a Karen from my experience.
1. They are used to getting things their way.
2. “It’s not about you” is a phrase that will set them off.
3. Not giving them what they want makes them feel like a victim, no matter how ridiculous their demands might be.
4. They will put on the tears and put up an act, lie and manipulate, call the police and management.
5. Karen can’t think outside of themselves to see from another’s perspective because it's about them and their truth matters.
6. Karen is a narcissist. (Entitlement is a doorway to narcissism ~ read my "What is a Narcissist" blog)
7. Karen chooses luxury and comforts.
8. Getting ahead in society, networking, how Karen appear and taking care of herself is at the forefront of her life's goals.
9. Karens usually travel in groups and support, validate each other’s bad behavior.
10. Karen's friends are all white and her idea of anti-racism will be an Asian friend and Anti-Racists books. After all, Asian is a safe color and pages don't criticize.
11. Karen can not take criticism, especially from a lowly colored person. She is never wrong.
12. Karen is a racist even if Karen doesn't think so or say it. She is it.
13. Karen takes.
14. Karen does not lack confidence.
15. It is all about them in their world; and ‘how dare you’ for not letting it be so.
A lot of my Karen experience has been with those with means and instead of calling her “Karen”, I should name her 'Daisy','Gweneth' or 'Ivanka'.
You know Daisy from “The Great Gatsby” - a woman of no substance where her goal in life was party, comforts and a the fantasy desires of a white men. Life is built around her. If the world is run by white men then it is their elite women that stand on a higher pedestal and status than the white men since the white men has to take care of their women, protect them.
She wields power with all the luxuries of goop.
She is out of touch with reality and has no qualms about walking past a homeless human on her way to her designer shopping spree, out of touch with reality, a kind of insanity and cruelty. As long as Karen can goop, travel, and look pretty, she will be fine.